We played each game as Encounter Level (EL) 6, meaning 2 Level 1 and 2 Level 2 Supremes per side. This meant we tried some new favourites and some old favourites; Sanguine (Night) (Level 2) is quickly becoming a new favourite as he seems pretty unstoppable (but more on that later). we played using a mix of Plots and Agendas. Judicious use of the latter can turn a scoreline around, so are well worth considering, especially as they can allow for unique victory circumstances in every game.
The first game was an Escape Plot, pitting the fleeing Ulthar against a rag-tag mix of Heroes.
The Heroes won the day, taking down almost all of the Ulthar, while doing their utmost to save as many innocent Citizens as possible.
We decided for the second game that as the Ulthar fled, they dropped something of importance. Heavy Metal and the Necroplane became aware of the item, so a Quest for the dropped item ensued.
Chronin's time-twisting abilities carried the day for Heavy Metal, but not before a last-ditch attack from Mourn.
Sanguine (Night) proved a very capable asset in this game (and the following one!), which makes it time to consider how to counter him. His most effective Action in these games was easily Fangs, followed by Crimson Mist. So how to neutralise his effectiveness?
- Take advantage of the fact that his Actions affecting other models work best or indeed only against Living models. Use Constructs/Mechanical, or Non Living to counter this where possible.
- Look to use models that are Immune/Mind: Vector, Supreme Zed, Red Baron, or C.O.R.E.. All Constructs (Apebot, Herald) are Immune/Mind. Undertaker makes Six Feet Under Immune/Mind until the end of the round.
- Consider screening Supremes with Minions.
- Nullify his option to Activate or make full use of AP using Actions such as Rake (Harrier); King of Torment (Ace of Wraiths); Concussion (Rook); Mind Grip (Gemini Y)
- Protect your models with Actions such as Halo of Souls (Red Riding Hoodoo).
- Move Sanguine out of position using actions such as Wind Blast (Elemental Mastery: Water and Air); Gale (Boreas); Pawns (Trail); Wind Strike (Chimp Chi); Lure (Xyllian, Master Sagittarius); Tipping the Scales (Stormblades, Libra Sensei); Taunting (Xenobi); Go With The Flow (Seabolt)
- Use Held* Actions; basically launching a counter-strike as Sanguine moves in.
The final Encounter was a simple beat-down: a Smackdown! This saw ARC members teaming with Ace of Wraiths trying to stop a rampage of terror organised by Sanguine. In this final game, victory conidtions were even based on the Plot chosen, but scoring from Agendas edged it for the ARC/Ace of Wraiths alliance.