Monday 5 March 2012

New Paint Rack!

Some things arrived in the post this morning, and among them was this paint rack (bottom picture)! Ah, the smell of burnt wood in the post - laser-cut MDF is on the way then, as any hobbyist should agree!

I don't know about other painters, but I have accumulated a sizeable selection of paints over the years. trying to keep them in a manageable order is part of the battle. A few years ago I switched from mainly using GW paints (I still rely on their washes however) to using Vallejo Model Color. A massive range of colours meant a burgeoning array of paints bought over the past few years.

That in turn led me to trying out a couple of different paint racks. I quite like the ones I had from Miniaturicum, for 30 and 80 bottles apiece (seen among my painting table debris in the topmost image), but the banked design means that the more bottle capacity that a rack gives, the greater its 'footprint' on my painting station. I also tried some CNC designs (their 'corner' efforts), but felt that the design and constriction was both flimsy and fiddly so I stopped using those.

Recently I saw that Iron Mammoth (click for blog post link) had created his own paint rack, and the two-tier design looked just the ticket for me, although without the bottle capacity I wanted. So I shot Iron Mammoth an enquiring PM via Lead Adventure Forum, and after an exchange of emails, we agreed a price on a my bespoke 104 dropper bottle rack, which has a smaller footprint on my work area, and less depth meaning that the way I work with stuff in front of the rack is better accommodated.

Very easy assembly and minimal gluing and I am very pleased with what Iron Mammoth delivered. Note that this is not yet a commercially available product, but if you are interested, it may be worth getting in touch with Iron Mammoth.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the positive review, and I am glad you find the design useful.

    cheers

    David
    Iron Mammoth

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful paint rack and looks like it would be very easy to get at your paints, too. The mdf looks pretty thick and sturdy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A work of MDF burnt smelling beauty....

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely rack mate!

    Hmmm could be I need to get my paints sorted out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really great rack, I need to sort my own painting situation too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...